Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Look Back at our Week

After our week of class, I ventured even further into the Adirondacks for some good ol' hiking and camping with Scott. We ascended two high peaks, the Wolfjaws, and cut our hike short (due to the 30 ft. ladder we could not get our dog up). We got back to camp early and really took some time to step back and soak up the wilderness.

Now I'm back home and back to work...

I would like to take a moment to thank you, Karl and Beth, for all your hard work and effort to make this week really worthwhile. Not only setting up this blog, but scheduling each day, having us meet Ed Kanze and the topics of conversation. I could tell you researched a lot of materials for this course and it really helped me to see the "bigger picture." Thank you again!

Part 1:
Please DESCRIBE least five meaningful things you learned in this course and how these things have, or will, effect change(s) in your life (either personally or professionally).

1. First and foremost I have to say the most meaningful thing I learned in this course would be all the environmentally friendly ways to do every day things. I was really pleased with all of this information because Scott has been pushing me to think differently on the subject. I enjoyed our converstaions and readings on windmills, solar energy, transition towns and CSA's, gardening, etc. I hope to talk some of my family and friends into being more eco-friendly.

2. Ed Kanze has inspired me to, as Eric said "take things a bit slower." I share his love for being in the out of doors, but find that I don't take the time to enjoy the scenery right in fron of my face. Instead, I glance around every now and then off of the trail. I will promise myself to take a step back and emerse myself in natures wonders.

3. Before I started this course I browsed through the ADK websites and the Great Camps and learned about the history of the place. I found it interesting how the Great Camps came to be, who inheritied what and whose hands it is in now. I also throughly enjoyed the museums we visitied on Wednesday. In fact, I am going back in August with Scott and my sister who are also dazzled with my snip bits of information about the Park itself. I hope to share my enthusiasm with others.

4. Technology is not my strong point, it's Scotts. However, I have had the opportunities for him to help me through some pretty difficult online tasProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

. I was pleased with Karls presentation on technology. I had used some of the programs before, but there were several that were new to me such as the Comic Life program. (I even brought this home to Scott!!) I liked how we were able to explore our options and the programs itself for our projects. It gave us some time to get familiar with them without being too overbearing.

5. This class has given me the opportunity to connect with the Adirondacks on a more personal note. I have enjoyed my time spent up here and will frequently return for some more adventures. Not just the Adirondacks itself but the outdoors in general. I live by Louv's novel and try to be outdoors as much as possible....even in the rain!!

Part 2:
Please DESCRIBE at least three things you have taken away from the course topics, activities, discussions, and/or readings that will affect what you do to in your classroom (or workplace) that will connect our week to what you do every day.

1. After our challenge course afternoon, I talked with Kevin and Annie about trying to set up an outdoor facility at our school. I have already incorportated games and initiaves from the "adventure cirriculum," but it would be nice to have the students step out of their comfort zone and start to take some risks both mentally and physically in an educational setting. I plan to get in touch with Kevin in the next two weeks and visit a school in Liverpool to get some ideas!

2. I would also say that I would like to incorporate more lifelong activities into our own cirriculum and back away from the sport-like model. If we want kids to be healthy we have to find activities that they could do for the rest of their lives and enjoy it at the same time.

3. The projects that were presented made me realize that the nature and the outdoors can be used in the classroom very easily. Whether, it's taking your class outside for some reading, making your own class garden, or going on a nature walk, it is important to get kids out there.

Thank you everyone for such a great week1 I hope to see some of you soon. Good luck with the rest of your time at Cortland.

-Bri

1 comment:

  1. Bri,

    It was great getting to meet you and see your philosophy of teaching physical education. I'm glad that you were able to take away a number of things that you can apply in your classroom and your personal life. Please remember to keep in touch and let Karl and I know how things are going for you. And STOP doing the rain dance - we've had enough gray weather and rain this summer already:)

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete